What Should I Do if I was Injured at a Sports Venue?

Attending a sports event is exciting. The energy flowing through massive venues is palpable. For sports enthusiasts, visiting a sports venue is an unbelievable adventure. Unfortunately for many spectators, the field, court, or track isn’t the only place where injuries can happen.

In 2018, researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham decided to take a look into just how common spectator injuries are at sports venues. Researchers looked at data between 2000 and 2018, and found a total of 181 spectator injuries, including:

  • Auto and Motorcycle Racing – 123 injuries
  • Cycling – 25 injuries
  • Cricket – 12 injuries
  • Baseball – 10 injuries
  • Hockey 8 injuries

Researchers identified 62 fatal injuries, with the majority (38 percent) stemming from vehicle racing.

The majority of injuries identified involved flying or stray objects. Most commonly, the victims were struck by a ball, puck, car debris, or other projectiles.

What to Do after a Sports Venue Injury

Attending a sports event is fun, but it is also often a large expense. No one plans, pays for tickets, and arranges travel with the thought that something terrible could happen to ruin their fun. However, no matter what sport you are watching, or the size of the sports venue, accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere.

So, what should you do if you were injured at a sports venue? Consider the following:

  • Get medical attention. Tell the doctor what happened, where you were, and any factors involved, such as hazards, other spectators, etc.
  • Gather evidence. Get copies of medical records, witness information/statements, photographs of the scene or injuries, and any correspondence between you and the venue.
  • Contact a personal injury attorney. Injuries that happen at sports venues are often covered under premises liability laws. You may be entitled to compensation.

A personal injury attorney will help investigate the circumstances of your injuries to determine if you are eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit.